Sandfire is committed to environmentally responsible management of our facilities and activities.
We have committed to the following key goals to mitigate and manage our impact on the environment:
- maintain our statutory and social licence(s) to operate;
- integrate sustainability into our business;
- minimise adverse impacts on our environment;
- leave a positive environmental legacy;
- efficiently use energy, water and other resources while reducing waste;
- implement our mine closure plan; and
- maintain an Environmental Management System ("EMS").
We use an EMS, supported by policies, management plans, standard work practices and guidelines. The EMS aligns with ISO/AS14001:2004 Standard for Environmental Management. It is subjected to a continuous internal review process by site management and the Environment Department and external review every two years.
We meet statutory obligations by annually reporting on environmental management of our operation and exploration activities to regulators responsible for mines, water and the environment in several licensing jurisdictions.
View Sandfire's Environmental Policy Statement.
Since 2015 we have participated in the Carbon Disclosure Project and in 2015 we were a finalist for "Best Climate Disclosure By a New Company in Australia."